Education & Certifications
Certified Public Accountant
Licensed in Illinois
Master of Science, Industrial Administration, Carnegie Mellon University
A.B. Medieval History, Magna Cum Laude, Harvard College
American Institute of Certified
Accountants - Member
Illinois Certified Public Accountants Society - Member
Wilmette Public Schools - School Board, (1997-2001)
150 South Wacker Dr., Suite 2300
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Phone 312-237-4845 Print Email CV
For more than 30 years, Paul has performed demanding forensic accounting,
financial, economic, and statistical analyses and presented these to a variety
of audiences including juries, judges, arbitration panels, and subject matter
experts. He has assisted counsel both as a consultant and as an expert in
litigation matters involving a range of issues inclusive of damages assessment,
valuation, market analysis, and application of accounting and auditing
Before joining Natoma Partners, Paul was a partner Grant Thornton LLP in their
disputes practice. Prior to that he was a founder and managing director at Huron
Consulting Group, where he provided dispute and investigation services. Paul
began his career at Arthur Andersen, where he was a partner and led the central
region litigation practice.
Representative examples of Paul’s engagement experience include the following:
- Special Purpose Accounts Receivable Corporation and Canadian Imperial Bank & Commerce vs. Prime One Capital, LLC, Signature Automotive Group Inc. and Thomas Borzilleri – testified for CIBC as to damages from fraud conducted by defendants. Defendant had diverted funds meant to repay rental car financing.
- Member of the Huron’s Forensic Accounting Investigative team that assisted the select committee of the Board of Fannie Mae in its investigation of accounting matters.
- Conticommodity Services vs. Prescott Ball and Turben - Explained to a jury how a broker in Houston used ‘paper’ trades, prearranged trades and the late allocation of trades to move cash to favored customers, his relatives and himself. A Houston jury returned a $100 million judgment against a brokerage firm who facilitated the fraud.
- In re: Soybean Futures Litigation – testified on Ferruzzi’s behalf in administrative proceedings alleging market misconduct. Damages expert in follow-on class actions.
- Consulted on mispricing of options, mortgage backed securities, improper trading and improper handling of customer accounts.
- Consulted with international bank on valuation of hedge fund client.
- Oceanic Bank and Trust Limited vs. MJ
Select Global Limited – testified in the Bahamas Supreme Court Law and
Equity division as to damages resulting from the failure of a hedge fund.
- Consulted with Bermudan administrator as to measures of damages from the failure
of a hedge fund.
- Kuwait Public Authority for the
Assessment of Compensation – supervised damage claims for over 100
Kuwaiti companies damaged by the Iraqi invasion and occupation.
- PenneCom B.V. vs. Elektrim S.A.
- testified in ICC arbitration for Elektrim on disputes arising from the failed
acquisition of a Polish telecommunications company.
- Telstra Corporation Limited vs. AADT
Limited – consulted with Telstra on the resale of telecommunication
- Consulted with a state owned telecommunications carrier in Central America as to
- Teleglobe vs. BCE – deposed and
testified for Teleglobe as to damages arising from BCE’s decision not to fund.
- US WATS vs. AT&T – testified as
to damages under communications act and antitrust laws.
- Cingular Wireless vs. Platnumtel – deposed as to damages in reseller case.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy
- In re Petters Company, Inc. –
testified on issues involving substantive consolidation.
- Grede as Trustee for Sentinel vs. Bank
of New York Mellon – deposed and filed affidavit with the court as to
collateral for loan agreements.
- In re: Parmalat Securities Litigation
– deposed for Grant Thornton as to fraud and deepening insolvency damages.
- Barry E. Mukamak as Trustee of Far and
Wide Corporation vs. Ernst and Young – testified at arbitration for Ernst
&Young on damages.
- James A. Gallagher as Managing Trustee
for the Spiegel Creditor Trust vs. KPMG – deposed as to damages for KPMG.
- In re: Alterra Healthcare Corporation
– deposed as to accounting for Alterra.
- Paxar Americas, Inc. vs. Zebra
Technologies – testified for Paxar on damages arising from patent
- Original IFPC Shareholders Inc. vs.
AT&T Wireless Services – refuted claim that it was mathematically
impossible for AT&T not to have infringed in design of air phones.
- Bell Atlantic vs. AT&T – deposed
and testified (in class cert hearing) as to damages involving products such as
Oil and Petrochemical
- In re Motor Fuel Temperature Sales
Practice Litigation: testified on accounting practices for inventory.
- Consulted with petrochemical company as to damages resulting from damage to
- Consulted with Latin American state owned enterprises as to valuation of
nationalized stakes. Industries included electric generation,
telecommunications, pipelines and aviation gas distribution.
- Consulted with public utilities in regulatory proceedings. Issues included
deregulation of generation and transmission, re-regulation of generation,
forecast test year, taxes and disposal of facilities.
- Consulted with Northeastern US utilities on forming region-wide transmission
- Designed phase-in plans for utilities adding large capacity.
- United States vs. Lawrence Warner and
George Ryan – testified for Governor Ryan in public corruption trial.