Education & Certifications
Bachelor of Business Administration,
Loyola University of Chicago
Certified Public Accountant
Licensed in Illinois
Certified in Financial Forensics
Chartered Global Management Accountant
Professional & Civic Involvement
American Institute of Certified Public
Illinois CPA Society
Catholic Charities of the Chicago Archdiocese
Board of Advisors
St. Mary Riverside School Advisory Board Member
150 South Wacker Dr., Suite 2300
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Phone 312-237-4826 Print Email CV
Mike has over 25 years of experience providing forensic accounting, litigation and regulatory consulting services to clients in a variety of industries. He has also managed audits of large, diversified public companies regulated by the SEC. His experience includes assisting clients with litigation, investigations and restatements, due diligence, data analytics, purchase price disputes, and complex accounting and financial reporting matters.
Prior to founding Natoma Partners, Mike was a founding managing director at Huron Consulting Group and a partner in Arthur Andersen’s economic and financial consulting group where he focused on complex accounting, regulatory, and litigation matters. Michael also spent two years as the controller for the law firm of Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal.
Representative examples of Mike’s engagement experience include the following:
- Performed extensive litigation support work and was a named expert for two wireless affiliates of a major PCS carrier in connection with a breach of contract dispute.
- Led a large team that provided extensive forensic accounting, SOX 404 remediation, and information technology services to management in connection with a Fortune 500 registrant’s multi-year restatement of its prior period financial results filed with the SEC.
- Analyzed a major airline’s accounting for maintenance expenditures and developed an expert report in connection with a Securities Act of 1934 case.
- Led a team that provided assistance to legal counsel in a special investigation of financial reporting issues at one of the world's largest financial services firms. Counsel represented a Special Committee of the Board of Directors. The work included forensic and investigative accounting, interpretations of GAAP, financial modeling, and computer forensics services.
- Led a team of forensic accountants and information technology specialists on behalf of a Fortune 500 insurance carrier in connection with a class action case involving the 1994 Northridge, California earthquake.
- Provided extensive accounting and forensic analysis services, including expert report development, to a manufacturer of residential and commercial products in connection with a purchase price dispute arising out of a bankruptcy transaction.
- Provided regulatory consulting to a number of large telecommunications companies and electric utilities in connection with rate case proceedings and other regulatory issues before state utility commissions. These services included developing historic and projected test years, gathering of detailed information in response to numerous data requests, preparing expert reports, and witness support.
- Provided cost of service and financial planning services to the Panama Canal Commission in connection with the transition of ownership of the Canal from the United States to the Republic of Panama as a result of the 1977 Panama Canal Treaty.
- Performed various analyses of a Regional Bell Holding Company’s joint and common costs associated with the provision of retail and wholesale wireline services in accordance with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. This work included presentations to the FCC and state utility commissions, as well as the preparation of expert testimony and witness support.