Education & Certifications
Bachelor of Science, Chemical
Graduate Accounting and Finance Coursework, University of Chicago
Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor
Professional & Civic Involvement
Association of Insolvency and
National Association of Securities Dealers Series 28 License
National Institute of Trial Advocacy (testifying expert at professional education
Turnaround Management Association
Lawyers Lend-A-Hand to Youth Auxiliary Board Member
150 South Wacker Dr., Suite 2300
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Phone 312-237-4837 Print Email
Matt has more than 11 years of experience consulting on complex litigation,
forensic accounting, and corporate restructuring matters.
Prior to joining Natoma Partners, Matt was a manager in
Group Disputes & Investigations and Restructuring & Turnaround practices, a senior consultant
with FTI’s Forensic and Litigation Consulting practice (formerly the disputes
and investigations practices of Arthur Andersen and KPMG), and a senior analyst
with Einhorn Associates, an M&A firm that focused on specialty chemical
Representative examples of Matt’s engagement experience include the following:
- Assisted hedge fund holding a $1.6 billion claim in the bankruptcy of a national
multi-billion dollar multi-media corporation. Analyzed subject company valuation
and solvency opinion and developed financial model to evaluate recovery
scenarios involving more than 120 entities, resulting in a projected increase to
client recovery in excess of $50 million.
- Assisted a large multinational medical supply company in a dispute with the IRS regarding the IRS’s assertion that the company’s international transfer pricing policies resulted in insufficient income being recorded in the United States.
- Assisted a Fortune 500 company with the translation of a foreign subsidiary’s
financial statements from local currency to reporting currency as a part of the
company’s restatement process. Provided guidance on the determination of
functional currency in accordance with U.S. GAAP and the appropriate translation
methodology for foreign currency transactions. Developed complex model to
translate the subsidiary’s financial statements into functional currency.
- Managed a team of more than 60 consultants on an investigation into the
regulatory compliance of a large insurance company, resulting in the company
issuing more than $200 million in refunds.
- Served as financial advisor to the secured creditors of a subprime lender.
Prepared 13-week cash flow analysis, 3-year budget, and liquidation analysis,
allowing client full recovery on a claim in excess of $200 million.
- Served as financial advisor to a multi-national precision-machined, metal alloy
components manufacturer. Performed liquidation analysis, valuation analysis, and
extensively researched automotive and medical components industries, allowing
client to reduce indebtedness by more than $80 million.
- Served as financial advisor to a committee holding a $325 million claim in the
bankruptcy of a $2 billion, Tier 1 automotive supplier. Prepared valuation
analysis utilized to support an increase to client recovery of more than $100
- Led a team of consultants on the successful divestiture of a $1.5 million
division of a publicly held Dutch company.